The History of Jersey Village
Mr. Clark W. Henry originally owned the
land that now comprises Jersey Village. Mr. Henry owned 1,236 acres
on which he operated the F&M Dairy. The ranch was stocked with
Jersey dairy cattle and at one time the dairy had one of the largest
and best herd of Jersey cattle in the world. Mr. Henry also had an
interesting show place on the land that is now public right-of-way
between the east and west bound lanes of U.S. Highway 290. At this
place the public was allowed to watch the milking of cows from
behind glass doors; and a short distance away ice cream, made from
the milk of those cows was sold. Mr. Henry also had the free pony
rides for the children and live country western entertainment for
the adults who came to buy ice cream. This was a very popular
attraction with people who lived in Houston .
Because of poor health, Mr. Henry discontinued his dairy operation
and shortly thereafter began to make plans for development of the
land into a residential community. Mr. Henry and Mr. Leroy Kennedy
were acquainted with each other through the Garden Oaks Baptist
Church. From this friendship they became business partners and
started the groundwork for the City of Jersey Village in February of
1954. Because of Mr. Henry’s success with Jersey cattle, it was
decided to use this name for the new community.
In the very beginning, only five miles of streets were put in along
with drainage, water, sewage, gas and lights. A few homes were built
along Jersey Drive and the first family moved in the latter part of
An election to incorporate Jersey Village into a city was held on
April 16, 1956, and 58 votes were cast. All 58 votes were in favor
of incorporating Jersey Village into a city so on that day the City
of Jersey Village was officially born. Shortly thereafter, a city
election was held and a mayor and five council members were elected.
Our former City Hall was given to the City as a gift from Mr.
Leonard Rauch on July 6, 1972. The building had previously been used
as a real estate office. It is currently being used to house the
offices of the City’s Public Works and Fire Department. A bond issue
passed in 1977 enabled the City to build a new City Hall, City
Garage, Park Pavilion, and expand the existing Fire Department
In August, 1986, due to the growth of Jersey Village, the voters
approved a Home Rule Charter for the City.
City Government Today
The City of Jersey Village is a
home-rule City and operates under a Council-Manager form of
government. The chief executive officer is the City Manager. The
Council is the community’s legislative body and is composed of the
Mayor and five elected Council Members. The Mayor and Council
Members are elected for a term of two years, limited to four terms
as Mayor, Council Member or a combination of Mayor/Council Member.
The Council Members all have a vote in decisions related to City
affairs. The Mayor may vote only in case of a tie vote by the
council. The City Manager attends all Council meetings and provides
advice on matters before Council but has no voice on actions taken.
The City Manager is responsible to the City Council for the
administration of all City affairs assigned to the manager by
charter, ordinance or directive. In addition, the City Manager is
charged with monitoring and directing the daily operations of the
municipal organization and staff.
Council meetings are held on the third
Monday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the auditorium at the Civic
Center at 16327 Lakeview. Agendas are posted 72 hours in advance of
the meetings and are posted on the bulletin board at the Municipal
Government Center at 16327 Lakeview and also on the web site at
Copyright 2001 – Jersey Village, TX